Friday, December 11, 2009

Blogging

I had forgotten how clueless I was about blogging until I just reread my very first blog post. I just was not accustomed to having people reading my writing. The thought of putting it on the web for anybody to stumble across was kind of daunting. The truth is though, that if someone actually takes the time to read my blog, out of the millions of other websites they could be viewing, then I'm cool with them reading my writing. Even, if they disagree with what I have to say. With all this talking we've done this semester about the media as a public sphere where ideas are debated and negotiated, it's a good thing to have to hear somebody else's point of view and have a relative debate about it. And even if nobody is really reading my blog posts besides my class, I'm okay with that too. I realize that hasn't just been a waste of my time. It forced me to really take a stance and articulate it. Sometimes it becomes so easy to just "go with the flow" and accept things the way they are. Or even, if you don't agree with a certain dominant ideology, you find yourself just quietly grumbling to yourself about it instead of speaking out about it. This blogging process has been a good way for me to gage where I stand on certain issues. So it's fine with me if this is more of a personal thing then a message that is going to be received by a large audience. Not to say that it wouldn't be nice for it to reach somebody. I might want to start by actually telling some more people about it and hopefully that will be motivation enough to continue blogging.


On a side note, I've been listening to this band Grizzly Bear a lot lately and as I was perusing the New Yorker website earlier I came across this video....it kind of cracked me up:

3 comments:

  1. I also agree that it was a little bit weird at first to put my writing out for everybody to see because I did not know what I was going to get in response, but overall it was a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both in you in that the beginning blogging was strange. I agree that it is cool that people would actually take the time to read our blogs, but I still feel like it is a waste of time and would rather be out in the world doing something more productive. I like the idea of telling more people to get more people to read the blog, maybe I will do this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely liked this whole blog idea, as opposed to a normal handwritten journal or such. It was a cool way to integrate what we talked about in class with homework, and at the same time make it possible to share our thoughts with each other.

    ReplyDelete